Napoleon #003 (mp3 – 18Mb – 50mins)
In Episode #3 of Napoleon 101, we pick up where we left last time – Napoleon has just won the Battle of Toulon and is made a Brigadier General. He is 24.
This brings us to 1794 and the events of the month of Thermidor (July in the revolutionary calendar).
- Napoleon’s relationship with Augustin Robespierre, and his older brother Maximillian, sees him thrown into prison.
- He is released but still has his name struck off the list of artillery officers and transferred to infantry.
- He takes two months sick leave and goes to Paris. Eventually he ends up working in the Topography Department of the Army.
- Then we move to 1795 â€“ Vendemaire. Paris is under attack and Napoleon meets Paul Barras.
- Napoleon saves the day with a “whiff of grapeshot”.
- As we finish this episode, Napoleon is made commander of the Army of the Interior, the largest army in France. He is only 26 years old.
In Episode #4, Napoleon will meet Marie JosÃ¨phe Rose Tascher de la Pagerie (aka Josephine) and will take up the command of The Army of Italy!
If you are a Napoleon neophite, then you really must buy a copy of David’s recent book:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Podcast (premium-podcasts): Play in new window | Download