Napoleon #002 (mp3 – 16Mb – 46mins)
In Episode #2 of Napoleon 101, we start the story of Napoleon’s life with his birth in the town of Ajaccio on the island of Corsica in the Mediterranean. We then cover:
- The political environment of Corsica
- His father Carlo’s relationship with the Corsican revolutionary Paoli
- Napoleon’s life at military boarding school from age 9
- The French Revolution occurs in 1789 and Napoleon’s reaction to it
- In 1791 he returns to Corsica to play a role in its revolution
- In 1793 he splits with Paoli and has to escape Corsica with his entire family
- He then experiences more civil war at the battle of Avignon
- Writes the short story Le Souper de Beaucaire
- Finally, at age 24, he is the architect of the victory at Toulon!
- For his part he is promoted to Brigadier General
In the next episode, we will start with the events of Thermidor and the infamous “whiff of grapeshot”!
If you are enjoying the series but want to learn more about Napoleon, don’t forget to check out David’s many books, including “Napoleon For Dummies”, which you can find here.