When we last left Napoleon he was leaving Egypt in the middle of the night to sail quickly back to a corrupt and floundering Paris. In this episode, we talk about:
- the corruption of the Directory
- the various plots to overthrow the Revolutionary Government
- Napoleon’s failed attempt to legitimately join the Directory to save it
- Sieyes’ approach to Napoleon to join his plot for a coup
- Napoleon’s speeches to The Council of Ancients, The Council of Five Hundred, and the eventual coup
And when we leave Napoleon in this episode he is, at the ripe old age of 30, the most powerful man in France.